Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sundance 2012 (baby boy's blessing)


On Sunday we went up the Blue Mountains to Sundance. You can read about last year’s Sundance here. This year was very different. Mainly because we only went up for the day and I got Matt to go with me this time. It was so nice to have someone with me in the car with a chunkamonk for that two hour drive.

He did awesome on that car drive.  I was so proud of him. No screaming or fussing at all.

It was such a beautiful day. When we got there we were met by our Sundance family. Grandpa Al even came over to say hi to baby boy, who responded by giggling and smiling at him. We then went and said hi to everyone in the kitchen, got chunk fed and changed before going down to the Arbor. Matt got to witness his first piercing round, which totally blew him away. It was not what he was expecting.

After the piercing round we took a break to change chunk and feed him again before the blessing.

The blessing round started and we brought chunk into the circle to get blessed at the sacred tree. The whole Arbor prayed for him, and then Matt prayed for him, I prayed for him and then touched him to the tree where Grandpa Al prayed for him. It was amazing. The energy was amazing. Chunk slept through it all, he never once woke up.

After the blessing round we left the Arbor and headed back up to the kitchen. Matt helped the ladies in the kitchen get ready for the feast. Unfortunately we were unable to stay for it. All of a sudden the temperature dropped and a thunderstorm hit suddenly.

It was amazing.

It was scary.

We had a lightning bolt hit right between the Arbor and the kitchen followed by the loudest thunder boom I have ever heard. Chunk got this look on his face as if to say “what the heck was that mom?” then he freaked out.

It was time to go.

I wish we had been able to stay for the feast but it was not the ideal weather to keep chunk out in. I loved that we got him blessed at the tree and that our Sundance family finally got to meet him.

Matt and I are looking forward to going back next year. Especially since chunk will be older and a lot more mobile then.

I wish I had pictures of it, but due to the religious preferences of the dancers there is no photography allowed.  So I guess you’ll just have to imagine what everything looked liked.

”danni”danni ”danni”danni ”danni ”danni